Fotd | Gris Gris & Chance…

by Jess on Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 · 39 comments

Hello! Last week or so, I received the Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette ~ 034 Gris Gris for free, for I have collected 15 bar codes that are on each box of any Dior product. 034 Gris Gris is a limited edition palette, which came out with the Dior Gris Montaigne Collection for Spring 2011.

I knew I had to get 034 Gris Gris the first time I saw it in the promotion pictures, thus it was easy to choose this palette as the ‘freebie’.

First off, some product pics!

Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette ~ 034 Gris Gris

034 Gris Gris is a cool toned grey palette. All shades, except for the frosty silver on the bottom right, and the darkest brownish black in the center, all shades have a frosty, kind of metallic finish. As you can see from the palette closeup and swatch, the frosty silver has fine shimmer to it, and the darkest brownish black has a chunky glitter overlay.

I’ve been looking for a grey eyeshadow palette for quite a long time, and I think 034 Gris Gris is a good pick, since the mix of silvery greys are pretty easy to wear with my skintone.

Today, I finally got the chance to do a look with it! The weather over here has become very springlike, so here is my take on a grey spring look!

Products that I used…

BASE MAKEUP
. Shiseido Natural Finish Cream Concealer ~ 1 Light
. MAC Studio Moisture Tint SPF 15 ~ Light
. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural ~ Light

EYE MAKEUP

. MAC Prep + Prime Eye ~ Light
. Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette ~ 034 Gris Gris
. MAC Fluidline ~ Blitz & Glitz
. Kiss Me Heroine Make Long & Curl Mascara

CHEEKS & LIPS

. Lunasol Illuminating Highlight ~ 02 Sheer Beige
. Estee Lauder Michael Kors Very Hollywood Blush ~ 07 Sunset Coral
. Chanel Rouge Coco Shine ~ 56 Chance

Took down the steps on this really quick and simple look! You know that my technique is mostly the same, haha… but I hope, it’s still helpful for some of you! ;)

Ok… indeed super easy, huh?

Onto the complete look! Let me apologize for my messy hair in advance!

Can you tell, I’m terribly fed up with my camera that always washes out the colors? Ahh… it’s time for a DSLR!

See how frizzy my hair is? Argh, old issue of mine… :/

I have not been wearing too much pink lately, because I have been obsessed with peach and nude colors, but today I felt to wear pink for a fresh springy look! I’m quite disappointed with the Lunasol Illuminating Highlight 02 Sheer Beige, which I ordered from BonBon Cosmetics, because it doesn’t really do much in terms of highlighting, if you can tell from the pictures.

Wearing these cute hummingbird earrings today, which was a gift from my sister!

I’m absolutely loving Rouge Coco Shine Lipsticks for they are so incredibly light and smooth, yet the color still shows up quite nicely, unlike other lipsticks with a sheer formula. I got to compare the new Dior Addict Lipstick with it at the counter today, and I must say that Chanel Rouge Coco Shine wins over Dior Addict.

First, the color payoff of Chanel Rouge Coco Shine is much better, and secondly, the formula is a lot smoother, with an almost moist feel to it. Also, Rouge Coco Shine does not have shimmer to it, which is advantageous for people with dry lip lines. Dior Addict Lipstick however, do have shimmer to it.

I think, it sounds like I really dislike the new Dior Addict Lipsticks, but actually I am not! Just saying that Chanel Rouge Coco Shine is the winner when compared. :)

| Update: 09-05-2011 | I got to check out the Dior Addict Lipsticks closer, and found out that not all shades have shimmer!

So guess what? I got more Chanel Rouge Coco Shine lippies today! To be precise, two of them and a Rouge Allure Extrait De Gloss! Blog post on that coming soon!

Oh, and I know that I’ve been using quite a few new products that I have not shown or talked about yet, but I’m thinking of doing a separate review post on these. Therefore, stay tuned!

fuz March 15, 2011 at 23:05

omg the earrings are LOVE!! :] Goes well with your look~
fuz last blog…MovedMy Profile

Jess March 15, 2011 at 23:06

Yay, you are the 1st one to comment on this blog post, haha…! ;)
Yeah, my sis got great taste too, huh?

Nani March 15, 2011 at 23:06

Love the look, love the earrings – and LOVE the fact that the link works! WOOO <3 I can finally reply to your comment now..

Uhm, I changed the top banner and added some extra pages, changed colors, fonts, etc. But that's a while ago.. I downloaded the barcode font and changed the font myself with color, effects, shadows etc. I'm glad you like it :'D <3 thanks for the comment!
Nani last blog…Back to square 1 – dammit!My Profile

Jess March 15, 2011 at 23:09

Nani, I’m so glad you finally can load my site! Yay!! Thanks for the reply! <3

Jian March 15, 2011 at 23:11

Wow..I wonder if we have that kind of promotion over here in the Uk. I’ve certainly nveer heard of it anyway! Although I don’t have 15 boxes anyhow, firstly because I throw boxes immediately, and secondly because I don’t think I own 15 pieces of Dior! I just counted off the top of my head, and I think I’ve only ever bought 14 pieces! Ahahaha…

But seriously, what a pretty palette! It looks very nice on your eyes too! And the blush gives you such a nice pretty pink glow!

Cant wait to see the new lippies =P

Jess March 15, 2011 at 23:16

Jian, maybe just ask at the Dior counter next time? I know, I’m such a weirdo for keeping most of the boxes of my beauty products, haha…
I just need 4 more bar codes, and I’m done with my second reward card, yay! :p

lisa March 15, 2011 at 23:21

I found the link! Love your subtle smokey eye makeup, I think you have sold the Chanel rouge coco shine lipstick at me, such a pretty flushed rosy pink color. Pretty FOTD,I love it!

Jess March 15, 2011 at 23:32

Yay, you found the link! Maybe I should make the font bigger, so that it pops into everyones’ eyes at once, haha…
You have to check out the Rouge Coco Shine! It will look so pretty on you, Lisa!

Cynthia March 15, 2011 at 23:27

Hey Jess,

Your FOTD shot looks great. I really like the products that you used and I totally agree the new Dior Addict is a bit disappointment. Too shimmery and sheer. I was contemplating from getting it, good thing I walked out.

Jess March 15, 2011 at 23:33

Cynthia, may I say great minds think alike? ;)
Thank you for liking my FOTD!

Fruity Lashes March 15, 2011 at 23:36

you’re right the pictures are indeed a little washed out though i assume in real life it looks a lot vibrant and prettier. which dslr do you have in mind?
Fruity Lashes last blog…March Beauty Magazine ReadsMy Profile

Jess March 15, 2011 at 23:40

Fruity Lashes, yes I’m so fed up with my current camera. It’s not bad, but not able to capture the colors in a vibrant way…

I’m thinking of a DSLR from Canon, but forgot the name, since it’s the bf who picks up when it comes to technic products, haha…

Tammy March 16, 2011 at 01:29

Hey Jess!!! Ahhh you’re such an enabler! I got one of the Rouge Coco Shine Lippies today at lunch–I love it, so smooth! But I’m a little sad because I so wanted the one you had, the dolly light pink, but they were sold out. It has the lease shimmer in the entire collection XD

Great post! Ooh Dior e/s are always so pretty :)
Tammy last blog…Heartache is Good for the EconomyMy Profile

Jess March 16, 2011 at 01:32

Tammy, you did? Haha… yay! Please show us your Rouge Coco Shine on your blog soon, ya!? Can’t wait to see!

You are right, not all Rouge Coco Shines are without the shimmer! However, they are really really fine, thus will not settle too much into dry lines!

Elle March 16, 2011 at 01:54

The swatches didn’t impress me but I love the look you did :) It’s so classy! And your website is finally back up ^_^
Elle last blog…Overview of My Beauty Diary Blooming of Beauty masksMy Profile

Jess March 16, 2011 at 02:04

Elle, hehe… yes sometimes swatches are not that accurate! Just like there are eyeshadows that look great in the pan, but totally fail when applied, right? ;)
Yes, finally I can access my site again! I hope that problem does not occur too often though! :/

Sheila March 16, 2011 at 02:32

Jess~~ just FYI, your photos don’t show up in my RSS feed (I’m using google reader).

Thank you for sharing! This reminds me of a grey version of 140 Twilight from a few years ago XD You look adorable as always!
Sheila last blog…Restaurant feature- Grill City Steakhouse @ Montreal- QCMy Profile

Jess March 16, 2011 at 02:46

Sheila, thanks for letting me know! I should fix it asap! But I really don’t know what to do actually… :/

Anyways, will work on it!

Eva March 16, 2011 at 02:48

pretty look!! I have this too but haven’t played with it much yet. I really want Chance now ^^ hopefully I can track it down.
Eva last blog…Chanel Rouge Coco Shine – EliseMy Profile

Jess March 16, 2011 at 03:30

Eva, I hope you are able to pick up Chance soon! :)

Jennise March 16, 2011 at 03:55

Love the grey eyeshadow with the rouge coco shine. Chance looks really pretty on you.

Jess March 16, 2011 at 03:56

Jennise, thank you!!

Makeup Morsels March 16, 2011 at 05:21

GORGEOUS EOTD!! I love the palette too. As much as I love Dior quints, I do wish they would make some matte shades in there like they used to. Your description of the Chanel Rouge Coco Shines is making me want to run out and get one >.<
Makeup Morsels last blog…Presenting- Real False LashesMy Profile

Jess March 16, 2011 at 14:33

Makeup Morsels, unlike you, I’m pretty fond of more shimmery shades, because I can not pull off matte shadows too well. :)
Hehe, yep Chanel Rouge Coco Shine is pure love! <3

Jie Jie March 16, 2011 at 05:32

Wow.. thanks for sharing, another palette on my wishlist now. Noticed that you used MAC Prep + Prime Eye, do u think it is suitable for oily eye lid? I’m considering Benefit (stay don’t stray). Hope you could reply, thanks:D

Jess March 16, 2011 at 14:31

Hi Jie Jie! I think for oily eye lids MAC Prep + Prime Eye is not the best pick. Have you considered NARS Smudge-proof Eyeshadow Base? I think that one would do a better job on oily eye lids! Hoe that helped! ;)

Mindy (minky) March 16, 2011 at 06:22

Sooo pretty! That Dior palette is filled with colors that I never use… but would love to try out. For some reason, I’ve never really tried a look using silvers and blacks. The earrings are so nice as well! I’m an earring freak so I loveee seeing different types of earrings. <3
Mindy (minky) last blog…A Lash Project- LOreal 24-Hour Lash Boosting Power System Mascara and Serum Week 1My Profile

Jess March 16, 2011 at 14:35

Mindy, I think you will look great in silvers and blacks too! But for your skintone, I would go for shades a bit more on the warmer side! Yeah, I love earrings too! So glad my sis has such great taste in jewelery! :)

Jie Jie March 16, 2011 at 16:46

Really? the one (NARS eyeshadow base) which Fuz is using? Thanks:D. Sorry to ask again, I would like to know how much for the Dior Eyeshadow palette in your country? ‘cos it is pricey in Singapore.
Jie Jie last blog…Prayer for Japan by writer and poet Paul CoelhoMy Profile

Jess March 16, 2011 at 19:44

Jie Jie, Dior 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow palettes are about 55,00 € over here!

Penelope March 17, 2011 at 12:04

Wow, a simply gorgeous FOTD. Love the grey shades on your eyes! The earrings are adorable, what a great gift!
Penelope last blog…My First Giveaway!My Profile

Elisa March 17, 2011 at 23:55

everything looks so classy =D ! love it !

Jenny March 18, 2011 at 10:22

yay!! New post!! I really LOVE your blog!! Esp all the detailed photos you have! Go Jess!! <3
Jenny last blog…New Dior Addict Lipsticks- Sephora ExclusivesMy Profile

Blair March 19, 2011 at 19:23

Hunnie I love your FOTDs, you always look gorgeous!!!

OMG if your hair is frizzy, Idk what to call mine *sobs*
Blair last blog…Neo Vision Sunflower Edge HazelMy Profile

Jess March 20, 2011 at 16:09

Blair, I can treat my hair with anything, and it still remains dry and and frizzy! :(

Cherry March 20, 2011 at 01:42

LOVE the look, and the blush color is so pretty too. BTW, you are the one who got me hooked on the kiss me mascara^0^~

Jess March 20, 2011 at 16:10

Cherry, isn’t the Kiss Me Heroine Mascara just awesome? ;)

ello cherie March 21, 2011 at 05:01

jess! my dear, i had some issues finding your blog, but i’ve finally found it! ( :
it’s looks absolutely fabulous!! i love it! can’t wait for more posts. hope all is well with you!

oreo March 22, 2011 at 16:05

pretty ootd!! and i love ur earings!!
oreo last blog…MaryKay TimeWise Luminous-Wear™ Liquid FoundationMy Profile